It seems as if there has been a huge amount of small stuff happening in the last quarter.
- First a top of a coconut tree fell on the roof and crushed the roof and one of the walls in the sleeping area. The constant coconuts falling on the roof had weakened it very substantially. We had a problem because the tree was not on our property, but was a neighbor’s tree, but since it didn’t fall on his house, he wasn’t worried about it. A couple of the local guys were not able to work because the fisherman that they work for had boats to repair. We hired them to put up an old fishing net to catch the coconuts and channal them to the bottom of the tree.
- Then there was a typhoon went through and the tree fell on the roof before we had it fixed from the previous damage. This happened during the night and there were five people sleeping in the room below where the tree fell. There were no injuries other than some splinters and they were able to evacuate and sleep in another building. At daylight one of the volunteers propped everything in place until the roof could be fixed.
- After a few false starts due to more structural damage and additional materials being needed, as well as raising the additional funds for repair, it was enclosed and secured. They were able to move back in so they weren’t sleeping in a storage area.
- The after picture showing the new roof and framing.
- It still needs roof paint to protect it from the salt water air. That will have to wait for funds to come in for that to be done.
We welcome all donations. You can donate on the front page of the site for both one time donations and you may also setup child sponsorship.
Thank you for your support.